Running has become an important part of my life during the past year. Not only does it help me relieve some of the stress of raising a toddler with heart defects (trust me there is plenty of stress involved), but it provides me with a means of raising awareness of congenital heart defects. Xavier is the inspiration behind my running. We have been told by doctors that Xavier will face physical limitations as he gets older and will not be able to participate in cardio and endurance type activities, so I do it for him. When people ask me why I run (and like most runners, I hear the question often), I'm able to share Xavier's story with them. I'm hopeful that maybe, just maybe, the message will be heard and others will find it in their hearts to help children like Xavier. I also use my running to fundraise when possible. In January 2013 I am running in the Tri-City Medical/Carlsbad Marathon to raise money for Mended Little Hearts. Mended Little Hearts is an organization that works on increasing awareness, raises money for pediatric cardiology research, and provides support to families impacted by congenital heart defects. Click here for more information on how you can help.
With Xavier after my first half-marathon.

No comments:
Post a Comment