It has been awhile since I've written and I thought I should share a few updates about Xavier.
Most importantly...he is doing much better! He was discharged from the hospital on September 7, a week and a half after being admitted, and has been doing really well since he got home. Before we left the hospital, we couldn't even get him to sit up in the hospital crib. Matt and I were definitely worried about how much the surgery had set Xavier back and how much pain he might be in. I assumed we would have a few quite days resting and cuddling on the couch...I couldn't have been more wrong! The minute we got home and I sat down with Xavier on my lap, he was squirming his way down to the floor and walking along the couch to get to all of his toys. I was so happy to see him active and wanting to play, but honestly, also a little sad to miss out on more cuddle time. ha. You would never know by looking at him now that he had a 6-inch section of his intestines removed four weeks ago today. He is just as active and spunky as ever (if not more so)! He seems to be eating better, but is still falling short on the growth charts. As of last week he was still less than 20 lbs. I'm not concerning myself as much about where he falls on the growth charts, as to how he is eating and his energy level. Although we still have him on a high-calorie, high-fat diet to help him gain more weight.
Last week, Xavier had appointments with his cardiologist and his intestinal surgeon. Both were very impressed with his recovery and said he was doing great. I love hearing good news from the doctors! Both doctors also gave their approval to proceed with his next cardiac surgery, which is scheduled for a week from tomorrow on October 4. It's coming up much too quickly!
I'm really hoping that Xavier will get a little break from the hospital after this next surgery...he deserves some time to just be a kid!
No comments:
Post a Comment