Wednesday, August 3, 2011

In the waiting room

I'm sitting here in the waiting room at Rady Children's Hospital...trying to pass the time. I've been here since 5:30 this morning because Xavier is having a MRI. Thankfully, the first two hours went fairly quickly. I was busy getting Xavier checked-in, having his vitals taken, and trying to keep him entertained (and distracted from the fact that he hadn't had anything to eat or drink since 10:30 last night). Now that he has been taken back, the time is dragging. I have been left in a waiting room in the MRI center in the basement of the hospital. Usually I spend my time people-watching, but I'm the only person here. Well, there is a receptionist sitting behind a window, but I think it might make her nervous if I spend the next two hours staring at her.

I always get so anxious when they take him back for procedures. Even though I know the MRI is so minor compared to his surgeries, he still has to be intubated and there are always risks associated with anesthesia. I refuse to say "good-bye" though when they take him, it just seems too final. I only kiss his cheek and tell him that I'll see him in a little bit. I know I'll see him again soon.

But for now, I wait.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be there with you! We could stare at the receptionist together and do happy dances when Xavier is ready for entertainment.

    Best wishes. Miss you!
    Breia

    ReplyDelete